Postilla and Mikalojus Dauksa
- In 1999 the postil Postilla Catholicka (1599), written by Polish Jesuit
Jakob Wujek, translated into the Lithuanian language and prepared by the beginner of the
beginner of the Lithuanian written language, priest Mikalojus Dauksa, will celebrate its
400 years anniversary since its publication in the printing house of Vilnius University.
Postil and Catechism (1595) by Dauksa are significant monuments of
the old Lithuanian language, which put foundations for the written language in the Great
Duchy of Lithuania and meaningfully monumentalised the culture of the nation and the state
in the native language.
- The Public library in Kedainiai, named after Mikalojus Dauksa, together with the
Siauliai Ex Libris Museum, considering a close original connection between a book and ex
libris, carrying out the mission of international co-operation, is organising an
International Competition of Ex Libris and Exhibition Ex libris. Dauksos
- The aim of the competition is to meaningfully monumentalise the personally of the
beginner of the Lithuanian written language priest Mikalojus Dauksa, the ex libris,
related to the places where the author has been living, pasturing and writing, and the
themes of Postil.
The terms of Competition
- We are kindly inviting the artists from all the world to create new ex libris,
reflecting M. Dauksa and his book, its impact on the written Lithuanian language and the
native language; also ex libris, related to the culture, history and present of Lithuania.
The ex libris may be in memoriam or dedicated to the present significant
personalities of science, art, culture and other professions, libraries or organisations
(please find the list enclosed). The obligatory text is EX LIBRIS. DAUKSOS
POSTILEI 400 and the name of the selected person or institution
(The ex libris without the text, reflecting the owner of the ex libris or institution are
not accepted to the competition and the exhibition). The number of ex libris is not
limited. The longest line is 15 cm.
- Ex libris have to be made using graphics, those, printed in protruding print will be
The following have to be submitted for the competition
- 5 seals of very printed and autographed ex libris with the name, second name and place
of living on the other side.
- 2. Catalogue data (indicating the year of creating ex libris, the type of graphics,
- Ex libris have to be sent for the competition before 1 September, 1999 by this address:
- Tarptautiniam ekslibrisu konkursui
- Kedainiu Mikalojaus Dauksos viesoji biblioteka
- Didzioji rinka II,
- LT-5030, Kedainiai, Lithuania
The Evalustion Committee will evaluate every submitted ex libris. Only ex libris,
corresponding to the regulations, will be recommended for the exhibition and bonuses. The
authors of the most artistic ex libris will be awarded the following bonuses:
- I bonus 1000 Lt;
- II bonus 600 Lt;
- III bonus 400 Lt each.
In the judgement of the Evaluation Committee the authors of other artistic ex libris
can be awarded process of different organisations and sponsors, valuable presents and
diplomas. The members of the exhibition will receive a catalogue. The ex libris will
remain with the organisers. The organisers also have the right to issue them free of
charge. The exhibition of the works, participating in the competition, will be held in
September, 1999 in the Art gallery of Kedainiai Town hall.
Contact persons of the competition are:
- Jonas Nekrasius Siauliai, tel.: 8-21- 427664;
- Zita Civilkaite Kedainiai, tel.: 8-25-755643;
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kedainiai M. Dauksa Public Library;
- Siauliai Ex Libris Museum.
- Regulations have been prepared by Jonas Nekrasius.
[Foreword][Postilla][M. Dauksa and M.
Giedraitis][Homeland][Customs][Language][History][Gallery][National Programm][Events][Mass Media][News][Information][Contents][Guest Book][Home]
Cultural Association Editorial Board, 1998.
Comments to: email@example.com